Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sev - 1 @ Late Evening

“5:30 p.m. time to do pack-up guys”, I said to Krishna. Then I started zooming around if I can get a look at some scenic feature in my office. This cost me a couple of minutes and I didn’t find anything. So I picked the leather cricket ball kept on my desk which nobody knows to whom it belongs to, and start spinning the ball around. Meanwhile, I saw Shahrukh came to the krishna’s desk, and chatting around. “Guys, it’s a Sev-1 against 007”, Krishna spoke loudly. Should we call the Mukhia jee back from his home? To which I said no “Let’s see first then if its pressures’ then we will call anybody”.

Few moments later I got a call from Prabhu, mentioning the severity level of the issue. I said OK let’s have the webex, and he scheduled it for about 6:00 pm.

Krishna and I booked a few conference rooms, occupied one of them, well before 6:00 pm. We booted the machine and boom, the power connection to monitor has gone. So I decided to take on the call from my desk only. To which Krishna said, why not do the netmeeting from within the Prabhu’s desk. I neglected it for few times, but seeing the persistent request from Krishna, I said ok let’s do with Prabhu only.

Prabhu, started the meeting, called the Bye-Bye communications, and introduced the us to them. I took the handset from Prabhu, and put the mode to speaker. I greeted the person on call but no response, there must be something wrong with the speaker of the phone so put the phone to head set mode once again. The whole idea of Krishna immediately gone went by. He was waiting there, to have the call on speaker and listen what is going to happen but then ….. we can’t help in certain situaltions.

XYZ shared his desktop, I was seeing it, one of 007 was executing, I asked him to spawn one but without any of knowledge into it. He did so, later I saw none of the two 007’s, the one which was already executing and the other which I made him to spawn his any issues. They were just fine. I got my point, I told XYZ, let them run for about 4-5 hrs in the system call trace mode and then send us the log, if the problem happens. If not then apply some intelligence to the 007, and see if it misbehaves. The moment I conveyed this thought, Krishna put a smile on his face. He got my point of making the XYZ collecting the trace for about 10-12 hours will make the issue reach to early morning clock hours, and that was making sure, we would be reaching home sweetly in time.

I don’t know whether XYZ, sensed it or not. But he immediately said “there are n number of systems with this behavior, we can log in any of those systems”. I thought, damn the night has to go like this way only. We logged to one of those, saw the issue happening. Again XYZ made a statement, that they had no problems since two years with any of the 007. To which I suddenly said ok, now no worries, if 007 had been good enough for years, I can’t create issues for himself in last 20 odd days. So chilled/pilled I asked XYZ to trace a running 007. He did so well, after this execution I asked him to send us the trace logs, and took some of our relaxing time.

I knew the next of information sharing between me and XYZ will be at least ½ hour later. I utilized the time, in a proper way. I had some free snacks in our cafĂ©, and then sent off some of my colleagues.

I then, called Prabhu, to know the status, and also wrote him a hell lot of steps to be performed by the XYZ, with a thought that this may take a couple of hours. For first few minutes I wasted jiggling around, playing with a few commands, played PAM-PAM both 32/64 bit version on AIX. I enquired, if we can pull the issue to morning, to which Prabhu told that XYZ is a kind of batman, who can attend the meeting in the midnight as well. I said ok.
I was not in a plan to write down this phrase if I had not to kill my time in my office. But right now I got the call from Prabhu, saying the Batman for a change today is sleeping in the night. Which is good for me, I am signing for the day.

No comments: