Thursday, June 24, 2010

Paradigm Shift

A couple of month back I was in software development, developing and maintaining the system software. C was my third language after English and Hindi. The good part of C or rather a drawback is that it has a very small context. We can define big framework using C, but C in itself is so small to explore. The concept was all mattered till the very date. We always use to have the set of defined input, set of defined output, and certain non-functional requirements of performance of the application. The application used to sit somewhere in the background of the system and does the playback singing for the respective audience of the software. The audience always gave a big applause for the performance of application. So far so good, not a big deal, I was doing well, as my application was.
And then, after feeling boorish of doing the playback singing I thought of facing the audience right from the center stage. So I shifted my paradigm, from a developer of the software application to the user of the software application[s]. Kindly notice the extra s that changed my life to what I don’t know. As till date I rhymed the nursery poem, and now I’m sitting straight into the high school exams. The cluster of applications which make a suite of software platform, doesn’t allow me understand the input and output behaviors. Yesteryears developer is finding hard time in shifting the paradigms from reading man pages to user guides, sdk’s to best practices guide, system calls to query framework.
As said it’s a suite, consisting of many applications developed by many of the likes of me; and all of their own mindsets of the likes and dislikes of the language, platform, OS, behavior. Thus the suite itself doesn’t have a consistent behavior across the board. It’s a framework of many interpreter languages. And two different languages don’t have a correlation. The syntax varies, the call varies, and the execution varies. Above all, sitting next to the person who pays for you and jiggling with the thoughts “what if this doesn’t go the way I think” makes a little more complex to the life. “Will it be the software bug, or is it just because of me still spiraling in the same development curve”. The pressure of not reflective the pressure I feel inside for the unawareness of minor tweak, is sometimes tough to hide. I’ve been suggested to “show confident even if I’m not”. There’s no one accompanying on the center stage, perform or perish, 0 or 1, the only use of binary number system I can think of at the moment. There were severity-1 issues I used to take in previous phase of my professional life, but then they used to be once in a blue moon, and now I’m on the hot plate for about a month.
Enough of complaining, I was looking a change, and I got the change. Then I was solving a problem, and now I can define a problem to be solved. I’ve to cope with the change I’m facing. May be I’ve just initiated my journey in to the Ocean, I hope it to be calm deep inside. And the loads of experience and memories I’ve on my shoulders are just the handful of perks, which I wasn’t aware living in those boundaries. There’s no free lunch, enjoyment does have a cost.

No comments: